Senior UX Practitioner
Lead User Experience Practitioner with over 10 years of commercial experience, specialising in the design
of usable and accessible web sites and application user interfaces. Currently designing cross-platform solutions for web, mobile, desktop and tablet. UX Evangelist. I make magic with computers.
Specialties: User Experience Design, Usability Testing, Wireframing, Prototyping, Card sorting.
Senior/Lead Usability Analyst at Wunderman
- UX Strategy
- Competitor Reviews
- Usability Testing – 1-on-1 and Remote
- Heuristic Analysis
- A/B Testing
- Client pitches and presentation of findings
- Support, guide and mentor team and assess quality of work
Head of UX at CREACHA
July 2016 – June 2017 (11 months)
- Visualising Business Requirements into wireframes
- Creating user journeys and user personas.
- User experience research, competitor analysis, and benchmark research.
- Create the vision for developing, communicating, and implementing the user experience and associated UI framework and assets on a range of products.
- Produce user flows, wireframes, prototypes, and user interface specifications.
- Initiate, manage and conduct user experience research and testing processes.
- Perform metrics analysis to inform design/user experience optimisation efforts.
- Partner with the development and UI teams to ensure we provide the optimal experience for end users
- Work strategically with other executives and team members across the organisation
Senior UX Consultant at Quirk
January 2016 – July 2016 (7 months)
Heading up UX at Quirk Jozi.
- UX Strategy
- User Journeys
- Usability Testing
Lead UX Practitioner at Free Thinking June 2015 – Present (5 months)
UX Design and Advisory
Using User Centered Design approaches to help Freethinking and its clients to solve business challenges. Responsibilities include, inter alia, the following:
- Determine a product’s mandate, feature set, and business requirements.
- Plan and conduct user requirements gathering and analysis, competitive research, conceptual modelling and usability testing.
- Design and specify user interfaces and information architecture using participatory and iterative design techniques including customer interviews, usability testing, and other forms of requirements discovery.
- Produce user requirements specifications, personas, storyboards, scenarios, prototypes, and design specifications.
- Participate as a contributor to an interdisciplinary team that includes visual designers, project managers, business analysts, and developers.
- Effectively communicate research findings, conceptual ideas, and detailed design rationale both verbally and visually.
- Contribute to the defined scope and phasing of project timelines.
- Create wireframes and functional prototypes.
- Document feature behaviour in detail.
- Collaborate with teammates, clients, and third parties to ensure that your solutions survive the development process.
Reason for wanting to leave: Would like to move out of the insurance and finance sector and back into digital media.
Usability Analyst at Discovery Holdings
December 2012 – May 2015 (2 years 6 months)
Tasked with ensuring interactive media products meet the needs of their intended audiences through analysis, evaluation, and testing of the user experience. Conduct analysis, design, and evaluations of systems interfaces with clients and staff, to ensure maximum usefulness and satisfaction, to increase productivity and to elevate the overall quality of the product or service.
Reason for leaving: Retrenched due to the dissolution of my department.
Senior User Experience Specialist at Momentum
December 2011 – December 2012 (1 year 1 month)
Senior User Experience Specialist responsible for owning and institutionalizing Usability & Accessibility across Momentum’s digital channels. Digital product ideation and UI prototyping for web, mobile, desktop applications and tablet.
Reason for leaving: Offered a better remuneration package as a contractor at Discovery
Senior UX Developer at DStv Online
August 2010 – January 2012 (1 year 6 months)
User Experience lead responsible for evangelizing and institutionalizing UX across DStv’s business units. UI prototyping for web, mobile, interactive television, set top box and tablet.
Reason for leaving: Wanted a position closer to home as my kids were still very young.
Visual Interface Designer at mymarket.com
July 2009 – August 2010 (1 year 2 months)
Travel Web Application UI and Front End Development.
Reason for leaving: Offered a position at DStv that ticked all the boxes for where I wanted to move in my career at the time.
Visual Interface Designer at SHL Group
December 2006 – February 2009 (2 years 3 months)
Responsible for solving usability, accessibility and design issues on existing online systems, combining technical and visual design skills to resolve problems. Understanding client requirements in order to interpret
and input directly into the project system specification. Producing prototypes and perform usability testing and review of all UI designs. Developing a ‘center of excellence’ for visual/UI design and usability at SHL, including WAI and DDA compliance. Developing and promoting the global SHL style guide for application visual interface design. Providing guidance and cross training to the IT Application Delivery and Service Delivery teams on visual/UI design and usability issues. Developing system prototypes and ‘wire frame’ design to demonstrate application systems flow and usability. To assist the offshore (India) development teams with graphic design work to support customised client implementations.
Reason for leaving: Retrenched following the 2008 financial crisis in the U.K.
Freelance Front End Designer at Halpern Cowan
October 2006 – December 2006 (3 months)
HTML & CSS development at a London-based multimedia agency for new interactive functionality on the Norwich Union website.
Reason for leaving: Short term contract. Offered permanent role at SHL Group.
Director at D4 Interactive
January 2005 – October 2006 (1 year 10 months)
Reason for leaving: Sold business and moved to London.
Web Developer / Production Director at October Solutions 2003 – 2004 (1 year)
Responsible for day-to-day running of this web design/development agency.
Front-end web development.
Reason for leaving: Company closed its doors prompting me to start my own web design and development agency.
Senior UX Developer DStv Online
Usability Week 2010, Toronto, Canada
Visual Interface Designer SHL Group
Usability Week 2007, London, England
English (Native or bilingual proficiency)
Skills & Expertise
- Usability Testing
- Card Sorting
- Paper Prototyping
- Lo-Hi Fidelity Prototyping
- Information Architecture
- Interaction Design
- Mobile Applications
- User Research
- Web Applications
- Wire Framing
- Heuristic Evaluation
- User Scenarios
- Axure RP Pro
- Mobile Design
- Contextual Inquiry
- Agile Methodologies
Hatfield Business College
MCSD Visual Basic with SQL, ASP and Access, Microsoft Visual Basic, SQL, ASP, and Access, 2003 – 2003
Amanzimtoti High School
Matric: English, Afrikaans, Biology, Geography, Art, Drama, 1992 – 1994 Activities and Societies: Swimming, Athletics, Water Polo, Rugby, Volley Ball
Honors and Awards
Awarded the ITG Achievement Bonus for excellent work on SHLDirect.com and the SHL Careers site at SHL Group Ltd
Film, Music Production, Usability, Accessibility, Gadgets
“Having worked with David, I can say he is very astute and capable. He is always knowledgeable about what needs to be done and is always hands on. He is focused and able to complete the tasks at hand. A pleasure to work with.”
- Jabu Ngwenya worked directly with David at Momentum
“I had the privilege of working with David whilst working on a project together at DStv Online. David is a dedicated, hard working and creative colleague. He is self-motivated and is a natural leader. His design and UX testing on our Silverlight media player project proved to be invaluable. He is an asset to any company and I highly recommend him for both his skills & work ethic.”
- Madeleine Black worked directly with David at DStv Online
“David is a great designer and his innovative ideas and out-of-the-box thinking make him an asset to any company looking to improve their image. David is willing to listen to new ideas and strives to perfect the ideas given into great creations.”
- Aadila Jada worked directly with David at mymarket.com
“I worked with David on a website development project at SHL and I was very impressed with not only his technical skills but his ability to understand customer needs and apply this to his work. This, I feel, makes David a superior developer and a great person to work with.”
- Katherine Cunliffe worked with David at SHL Group
“David is one of those rare expert individuals who can relate to non-expert audiences! We worked together on several projects at SHL and he was able to act as both a creative online designer as well as the invaluable bridge between the commercial and IT functions. Without his ability to keep the needs of the end users or customers at the forefront of delivery, the SHLDirect web service would not have been anywhere near as successful.”
- Kevin Baughen worked with David at SHL Group